Have you ever had Tasty Mauritian Vegetables Briyani?
In Mauritius, we have various dishes because we are a multiracial Island. These food are Mauritian Rougailles, Indian Curries, Muslim Briyanis, Chinese Sweet-and-Sour dishes, French Traditional dishes. The basic ingredients which we use in our kitchen are tomatoes, onions, ginger, garlic and chillies.
Many people here are still using the traditional blends of home crushed spices such as curry powders and the spices for pickles. We normally use local vegetables and fruits which are available all around the year.
Today, I am going to share with you the popular Tasty Mauritian Vegetables Briyani. It is very delicious and you will surely love it too.
Tasty Mauritian Vegetables Briyani Recipe
(serves 6 persons)
600g Basmati Rice
150g of shredded Carrots
1 cup of green Peas
1 cup Soya Chunks soaked for 15 minutes in hot water and strained
2 small cups of natural Yogurt
2 green Chillies
5 crushed Garlic cloves
3 Cinnamon sticks
40g crushed Ginger
10 Cardamom seeds
2 tsp crushed Anise seeds
A bunch of Mint
A bunch of Coriander Leaves
1 tsp Saffron pistil
Salt to taste
– Grind one cinnamon stick, 5 cardamom seeds and 5 garlic cloves.
– Finely chop onions and fry until golden brown.
– Then, peel, quarter the potatoes, add salt and brown them for one minute.
– Fry the carrots for some minutes.
– Mix the carrots, green peas, green chillies, soya chunks and potatoes with some of the ground spices.
– Soak the saffron pistil in boiling water.
– Simmer the rice with 2 cinnamon sticks, 5 cardamom seeds, 5 garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon of anise and some salt.
– Half way through the cooking, remove the rice from the heat and drain.
– In a large saucepan, add 1 tbs of oil.
– Then, alternate a layer of rice with a layer of potatoes, green peas and carrot mixture, then a layer of saffron pistil along with mint and coriander leaves.
– Finish with a layer of rice.
– Pour in a glass of water and allow to simmer over a low heat for half an hour.
– Serve hot with pickles or tomato chutney and even cucumber salad.