Photo Credit: Myself
Gateau Piment is a very popular snack here in Mauritius. It is normally deep fried and this makes it become more crunchy. It is great to be taken while having a cup of tea and it can also be accompanied along with Tomato Chutney.
You can also prepare different types of dishes with it such as Gateau Piment Salad, Gateau Piment Rougaille, and Curry Bari.
Homemade Gateau Piment Recipe
- 200 g Yellow Split Peas
- 1 bunch of Spring Onions finely chopped
- 1 bunch of Coriander Leaves finely chopped
- 2 Green Chillies finely chopped
- 1 Onion chopped
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Wash the spit peas and let them soak overnight.
- Drain them well.
- Blend them but not too finely and pour the paste in a bowl.
- Add spring onions, coriander leaves, onion, salt and chillies and mix them well.
- Make small balls and flatten them with your palms.
- Heat oil in a saucepan for deep frying.
- Put the small balls in the oil and let them fry till golden brown.
- Drain them to remove excess oil.