Sweet Semolina Idli is a traditional recipe which I have been preparing for many years now. In fact, I used to prepare it either when there are guests coming at home or during the Diwali and other Hindu Festivals. It is actually a very easy recipe which can be prepared with less ingredients and it is healthy too.
There are two ways we can prepare Idli either sweet or salted. The salted one can be eaten with Mint Chutney or any other Chutney. It is very popular as a South Indian dish. At home, we prefer the sweet one as we can have it along with tea.
Sweet Semolina Idli Recipe
- Serves: Makes 24
- Total Time: 1 hr 30 minutes
- 250 gms of Semolina
- 1 cup of Sugar
- 1 cup of Milk Powder
- 2 tbs of unsalted Butter
- Grated Coconut
- A few drops of Vanilla Essence
- 1 tbs of Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 cup of Water
- Mix all the ingredients well in a bowl and leave aside for 1 hour.
- Mix it again and pour the Idli batter in each mold. Make sure that you do not fill the mould completely. It has to be 2/3 of batter and leave the 1/3 space for it to become bigger in size.
- Put two cups of water in the Idly Maker.
- Then, place the Idli Mold on it.
- Cover the cooker and cook in low heat till all the Idlis are cooked.
- Let to cool down.
- Take them out with the help of a knife and place on a plate.
- Garnish with fresh grated coconut.
In the above picture you will see the Idli Mould that you should use in order to make Idlis. You have to place each mould on top of the other and then put it into the Idli Maker to steam.