Image Credit: Myself
Watercress is very popular in Mauritius. It is a leafy vegetable which normally grows in water and has many health benefits too. It contains Iron, Calcium and Vitamins A and C. In fact, some people make its juice too. It solves many skin problems such as acne and pimples for it has many antioxidant properties. As it is a high water content leafy vegetable, it helps to take out toxic from the body and helps the digestive system too. It also reduces the risk of certain types of skin cancer.
Watercress has been the favorite greens for the whole family and my husband loves to eat it as salad. In fact, he can have it everyday whether it is for lunch or dinner. My mother used to cook it along with dry chillies, onion and garlic. I used to cook as per her recipe for years and one day, I wanted to try a new one out of it. What I did is that I had added baby potatoes to it and everyone at home loved it so much that they were ready to take it in their lunch boxes.
I am going to share the same recipe with you today and do try it. I am sure you will love it too as it is very tasty and very easy to prepare.
Watercress and Baby Potatoes Recipe
- Serves: 5 persons
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- 2 bunches of Watercress
- 1 lb of Baby Potatoes
- 3 dried Chillies
- 2 cloves of Garlic cut into cubes
- 1 small onion
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon of Oil
- Wash the watercress well several times.
- Use your kitchen scissor to cut the leaves and stem to smaller sizes.
- Put them away.
- Now, wash your baby potatoes well.
- Cut them along with their skins same as in the picture above.
- Now, put the watercress in the non-stick pan or wok after draining its water and let it cook in medium heat.
- Go on stirring it for a few minutes.
- Switch off the stove and take out the watercress from the pan by draining out all the water.
- Wash the pan and place it on the stove again in medium heat.
- Put oil in it and when it is hot, put the baby potatoes by adding salt to them.
- Let them fry and drain the oil while taking them out of the pan and put them in a plate.
- Now, in the same oil, add chopped onion, cut dried chillies and garlic and let them fry for 2 minutes by stirring well.
- When the onion is golden in color, then add both watercress and baby potatoes. Here do add some salt for the watercress.
- Let both cook in the spices for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Now, it is ready to be served.